Tuesday, August 27, 2013

camping...

My life has certainly played out differently than I had planned. I never thought last year, that this year would be so dramatically different for me. My husband Jim’s cancer has dominated my life so far in 2013. My time, my efforts, my finances, my worries, my family, my world is all completely different. Most of these adjustments have been made, some easily and some were difficult.

When Jim was healthy he was working 70-80 hours per week in a very thankless job. The more he would do, the more he would be asked to do. Jim’s “reward” for working hard and putting forth extra effort to complete his tasks before the end of the month, was to be given even more tasks to complete for someone else that did not do their job. It was never enough. Our family life suffered because of the long hours. Jim’s favorite hobby, camping, was never accomplished due to the time constraints of his work and Jim’s exhaustion from work.

Then, Jim received his cancer diagnosis. Jim’s health forced Jim to stop working. Jim’s doctor directed Jim to reduce his stress and focus on healing. Jim decided that he wanted to go camping. Jim’s body was so tired and so weak that going camping seemed like an impossible dream to me. My financial situation was so dire that camping seemed like a huge expenditure that I could not meet. Camping didn't seem probable. 

Then, Jim’s friend offered to help me to meet Jim’s desire to go camping. Jim’s friend took care of the logistics and made the arrangements. Jim’s friend assisted in the set-up and take-down of Jim’s 5th wheel; as well as taking care of anything that needs done during the camping trip. Jim’s friend also taught me how to drive Jim’s rig. Jim is able to simply rest and recuperate.
Jim sleeping under the trees, his favorite activity.


In May 2013 I set a goal to go camping once per month. So far, the goal has been met. These trips have been close to our home, and most only lasted Friday evening until Sunday morning, but it is still camping! Camping has helped Jim to relax so that Jim can focus on healing. I can see a difference in Jim. These camping ventures also help our children to spend more time with their dad. Here's our special needs daughter fishing, with Jim. 

I hope that the camping once per month can carry on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment