Sunday, February 2, 2014

Pineapple Upside Down cake...

Every Super Bowl Sunday, I make a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. I have no idea how this tradition began for me. As I recall, I was bored one Sunday and decided to bake a cake. It happened to be on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm estimating the year to be between 1995 and 1999, and the Pineapple Upside Down Cake tradition began. Every game since then I have baked this cake. This cake was baked in the cast iron skillet that my grandma gave to me in the late 1980's. It was one of her favorite skillets, and now it is definitely my favorite cooking vessel. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, a regular cake pan can be substituted. Back in the day, I had made the cake from scratch, but I've had better success with the boxed cake mix. I have no idea where the recipe originally came from so I cannot give credit to the creator. Enjoy! 

Pineapple Upside-down Cake 
           
Topping:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (20 oz) can pineapple slices, drained, reserve juice
Maraschino cherries, drained and halved *or whole
Cake:
1 pkg Pineapple Cake Mix (yellow cake mix can be substituted, but not as tasty)
3 large eggs
1  1/3 cup water *see notes
1/3 cup oil
Baking Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. For topping, melt butter over low heat in 12-inch cast-iron skillet or skillet with oven-proof handle. (or sub a cake pan.) Sprinkle brown sugar evenly in pan. Arrange pineapple slices on brown sugar. Place maraschino cherry halves, cut side up, in center of pineapple slices. (I use whole cherries; add a few extra's if you like.)
3. For cake, combine cake mix, eggs, water *see notes and oil in large mixing bowl. Beat at low speed  until moistened (about 30 seconds or so). Pour batter (carefully) evenly over fruit in skillet.
4. Bake at 350 ºF for 43-48 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan.  Invert onto heat resistant serving plate. 
NOTES: substitute part of the water with pineapple juice.*I sometimes don’t do this because I always forget and just drink the juice!

No comments:

Post a Comment