Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cheesy Baked Potato Soup...


Cheesy Baked Potato Soup 

I don't recall where I first saw this recipe, or I would put a link to it. This is my adjusted recipe. It is a family favorite, especially on cold winter evenings. I have included my notes at the end of the recipe. Add your own touches to make this your own. Enjoy! 
Cheesy “Baked Potato” Soup 


6 T unsalted butter OR margarine
1 1/4 C chopped onions *I use less
1 1/2 C chopped celery *I use less
1 carrot chopped fine
4 C chicken broth (2 cans)
8-9 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
Salt & Pepper to taste
12-16 oz Velveeta Cheese, cubed small *I use 16oz.
4 T flour
2 1/3 C milk
*½ to 1 C chopped ham OR fried bacon  
* Sour Cream
* Chives

* Optional

1. Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Sauté onions and celery in the butter for 5-10 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in broth, carrot and potatoes, bring to boil and then simmer until potatoes are tender, 30-45 minutes. Also, *if you’re using ham OR bacon add it now / *add salt & pepper now
3. Add cheese, stir until melted.
4. In separate small bowl, combine flour and milk, stir well until flour is mostly dissolved. Pour this into soup slowly, stirring constantly, until soup has thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. *Garnish with sour cream dollop and *chives.
Serves 6-8

Notes:
Can be halved. Leftovers do not freeze well.
Can be made in crock pot on low all day, then steps 3-5 before serving.
I cube the potatoes in three sizes: large (1“cubes), medium and very small. The small cubes will practically dissolve and makes the soup thicker.
I garnish with a dollop of sour cream and dried chives, like a baked potato.

Can substitute chicken bouillon cubes/water for chicken broth, dried minced onion, ¼ C dehydrated carrots*, scant ¼ cup dehydrated celery* if using dehydrated veggies add appropriate water (1 Cup each). Can substitute 1qt home canned turkey or chicken broth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment